Thursday, April 23, 2009

17th Annual Celebration of the Arts at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua


At the artists reception I realized the magnitude of giving that I was in the midst of. In a time when it seems the most difficult to spend, the Ritz Carlton gave without reservation to their community, artists, and guests. As artists it seemed the biggest concentration of appreciation we felt all year.

At the ‘awa ceremony I was reminded of why I do what I do. After a whirlwind of traveling and teaching I landed here, on this lauhala matt, about to receive a communion.
Before drinking the coconut bowl of ‘awa, I renewed my commitment to nurture the oneness of God, Man, Earth, Elements, Plants and Animals.

The Hiuwai ceremony in the ocean at sunrise was a wonderful cleansing in preparation of giving. I’m not sure if I it was supposed to be a body surfing session, but, oh well… “SETs”!

Being amongst such a rich caliber of artisans from across the state was a great privilege. Mahalo Nui to Kerry Gogan, Jaclyn Bloom and those who asked Clifford Nae’ole to invite me. Clifford is the cultural consultant and event coordinator loved for his tireless effort and giving nature. He is the powerhouse behind this prestigious event; Pure Aloha.

I enjoyed the company of Nature Conservancy’s Sam Gon, Musician Henry Kapono, Hoku winning group Maunalua, pa’u drum maker Keoni Turalde , My Hero Artists George Allen and Betty Hayes Freeland, Super Beautiful story telling artist Radha, Ritz Carlton’s general manager Thomas Donovan, and so many more.

The highlight for me was meeting, painting and teaching. That is what I am happy doing. Children and adults blessed my booth with their drawings and paintings of nature. Several students contributed to the creation of the painting “Ocean Aloha”.
This was done in the theme of “Lucky we Live Hawaii”.

1 comment:

ghandigirl said...

It is so generous of you to want to share your talent and gift. You're a good man, Patrick!

Interesting Facts about Patrick-Warning! Only one is not true. Can you guess which one??

-Patrick Ching was adopted and raised by a pack of Wild Mongoose in Moanalua Valley.

-A large tiger shark dislocated Patrick’s left shoulder with the swish of its tail on the 4th of July at French Frigate Shoals atoll. Patrick relocated his shoulder a short time later.

-Patrick developed his unique accent from spending years of his life talking only to turtles, birds and seals.

-After being run over repeatedly by bulls Patrick developed a bazaar addiction to the smell of a bulls forehead.

-A pair of humpback whales breached on Patrick while he was surfing at Sandy Beach with his brand new surf board from Kimo’s surf hut.

The whales took the surfboard, with the help of an octopus, and demanded six million in herring or they would Kill the board.

Youtube slideshow