Thursday, February 12, 2009

Seagull School Mural- A labor of Love and Laughs



The meeting was set by Chuck Larson “I’ll be at your house at 4pm”.

I had been warned about Larson’s negotiating tactics but I was ready. So, at five to four I walked out onto the reef in front my house and began fishing. On my second cast I hooked up a fish. As I was fighting it on my spinning reel, I saw Chuck approaching in his Kayak. I landed the fish (weke) about the same time Chuck landed his kayak.

Chuck brought refreshments and we discusses the Mural project for Seagull School.


“We’re dedicating a new building and I want you to do a magical mural. Kinda tropical and fun with lots of animals. This is the first thing I want the kids to see when they enter the building.”


There really was no negotiating. My strategy was I just said “Yes, anything you want”. And the Seagull school mural project was under way.


To complete the project by the time of the dedication of the new building I recruited my long time friend and fellow artist Jeff Pagay. In Moanalua high school Jeff and I wrote and drew the popular book “How Fo’ Surf”. They made us scrub it off the desks. Today it has sold out several printings and it’s second edition “How Fo’ Surf Bettah” is in production. Jeff and I are the only two people of our class to become professional artists.


Painting the Seagull School mural was a comic reunion. Jeff and I always are so in tuned with each other. In high School I taught Jeff how to use an airbrush. Then he blew past me with to become one of the top artists in the field of murals and banners. Jeff’s experience was super welcome as we worked fast and furious to procure the mural.


The magical place of Jungle Book meets Danger Island came to life with the help of several volunteers: John Garrette, Colleen, Ken Oku, John from Buzz’s, and Chasen Story. My friend and distributor Derek Scott had a burning desire to Sweep the huge parking lot so he helped in that way.


The new building and mural were dedicated on January 29 with Mihana Souza leading the music with Chuck and I taking turns on washtub base. The keiki of Seagull School danced the hula with Shalei Bagood. There was a bunch of other important people there as well. We all had a good time trying to find all the frogs the artists hid in the painting.

No comments:

Interesting Facts about Patrick-Warning! Only one is not true. Can you guess which one??

-Patrick Ching was adopted and raised by a pack of Wild Mongoose in Moanalua Valley.

-A large tiger shark dislocated Patrick’s left shoulder with the swish of its tail on the 4th of July at French Frigate Shoals atoll. Patrick relocated his shoulder a short time later.

-Patrick developed his unique accent from spending years of his life talking only to turtles, birds and seals.

-After being run over repeatedly by bulls Patrick developed a bazaar addiction to the smell of a bulls forehead.

-A pair of humpback whales breached on Patrick while he was surfing at Sandy Beach with his brand new surf board from Kimo’s surf hut.

The whales took the surfboard, with the help of an octopus, and demanded six million in herring or they would Kill the board.

Youtube slideshow